Google

Myxedema: the Later-developing Severe Type of Hypothyroidism

The year-end and year-opening holidays that just passed weren't particularly merry for my cousins living in Grand Teton Drive in our Pacifica (California) neighborhood. Their mom (my very loving aunt) has been diagnosed to be suffering from myxedema, one of two extreme cases of hypothyroidism (the other one being cretinism). I've been used to my aunt's exuberant personality; but when I visited her family toward the end of last year, I found her in a rather pitiful state. She appeared mentally dull, her voice sounded hoarse, and she had difficulty responding to what I was saying because she had an obvious hearing impairment. But the most noticeable sign that something's wrong with her was that her face has become swollen in a distinctive manner. How did these things happen to her? What exactly is the condition she's suffering from?

From the explanation of the doctor handling my aunt's case, my cousins told me that myxedema is a severe type of hypothyroidism, a condition in which the thyroid (the endocrine gland lying at the anterior base of the neck) is underactive and does not produce enough of its hormones (thyroxine); or it can be that the thyroxine secreted is of poor quality. Surprisingly though in this condition, the thyroid may be considerably enlarged (this most likely explains the swollen look on my aunt's face).

Hypothyroidism occurs mainly in women over the age of forty. Iodine deficiency in the diet is a common cause of this condition. But in my aunt's myxedema case, according to her doctor, the cause is an autoimmune disorder which is destroying her thyroid, effectively removing the source of thyroxine. The lack of these hormones is resulting to the general slowing down of her body's metabolism; even her heart rate is slowing down.

Besides the very low production of thyroxine, a decrease in the oxidation in the body also characterizes myxedema. In this condition, the heart may become dilated and its action, weaker. Correspondingly, heartbeat and breathing are slower. Also, the patient may exhibit greater susceptibility to infection or experience scant perspiration. Temperature is usually below normal and the patient becomes more sensitive to the cold.

Similarly evident in my aunt's case is her having gained weight, her body appearing fat and soggy. There are likewise the possibilities of her hair growing more slowly or falling out easily, her nails becoming brittle or easily cracked, and her skin turning scabrous, puffy, and thickened - all of which, as per her doctor, are symptoms of myxedema.

The dreariest piece of information I got about myxedema is that if it's not treated, the person may lapse into unconsciousness and eventually succumb to death. The doctor has ordered a series of laboratory tests on my aunt to continuously monitor the amount of thyroxine present in her blood. I understand that she's currently receiving some form of medication, specifically thyroxine medication, obviously to make up for the deficiency in these thyroid hormones in her. [Read the Original Article]

1 comments:

Sweet said...

I have had an underactive thyroid for quite a while and even though I was taking synthroid , my legs and ankles would swell by the end of the day. Taking porcine thyroid suppelemts in conjunction with the synthroid has cured it all. It really works for me.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape