Google

Panty Hose: Sleek Legs and Infected Toenails

I used to wear panty hose regularly; they make my legs look sleek. Noticed that I said, "used to?" That's right; I stopped wearing panty hose upon the advice of my doctor when I visited her in her clinic one morning to have my toenails checked as they apparently had been infected by some bacteria. True enough, my doctor confirmed the infection and pointed to my regular wearing of panty hose as the culprit.

While the wearing of panty hose does have a feel-good effect (considering the snug fit and enhanced look of one's legs), the fabric of which they are made of likewise offer a cozy setting for certain organisms or bacteria that can cause infections. Remember that it is basic knowledge that disease-causing microorganisms thrive in warm and highly-humid environments. Panty hose, especially those with spandex or nylon material in them, retain moisture and thus encourage the growth of bacteria or fungi.

At the beginning of this article, I made it sound as if my condition isn't something to worry about. The truth is, my toenails on both feet seem like they're rotting away, and the infection has spread to the midfeet. It was necessary for my doctor to perform a fungus culture study to determine the specific organism that has caused my condition. Immediately after, she identified the "pest" as onychomycosis (rather hard to remember or spell out, if not for its being indicated on the copy of the diagnosis sheet that I'm keeping).

Onychomycosis, as my doctor would later patiently explain, is a fungal infection of the toenails that is difficult to cure, much less eradicate. The fungi that are the causes of my condition make their way through the dead tissues of the nails, skin, and even hair. They become established due to the recurring minor trauma of my toenails, caused by my repeated cramming of my feet into the tight foot parts of the panty hose, and into probably my poorly-fitting shoes.

My toenails have been made thick, discolored, misshapen, and painful by onychomycosis. Because my condition has been found to be chronic, my doctor prescribed an oral antifungal medication for me to take. The prescription carries a strict instruction on the correct dosage that I should be taking, inasmuch as high doses of this type of medication have been linked to disorder in the function of the liver. But for non-chronic cases, prescription liquids, powders, or creams can be effective in controlling the infection.

I was also told that regularly wearing panty hose can cause another kind of infection known as vaginitis. Fortunately, I didn't have this condition, so I can't take it up here. As a helpful tip, however, there are panty hose that are made with cotton panels which allow air to pass through. These make for less-friendly surroundings for germs or microorganisms. [Read the Original Article]

0 comments:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape